How ABF Determines Which New Countries to Establish Programs
Here are a few of the questions we ask when we receive requests from Christian Scientists to start a program in a new country.
- Does this country have an active Christian Science community with a Journal-listed CS church or CS Society with at least one practitioner in the area?
- What is the likelihood that this country will have an ongoing active Christian Science population of college-age students who will have a financial need for college?
- Are there trusted sources that can provide ABF with current data on reliable banking infrastructure, local laws, and reputable schools?
- What is the availability of Christian Science volunteers to assist ABF wth a local program? ABF needs these volunteers to have a working knowledge and familiarity with local colleges and universities. These volunteers would also need to know how these colleges conduct business as well as their criteria for accepting students. A college degree is preferred.
- Do we have sufficient ABF staff both in Africa and the US to manage a new program, including interfacing with local representatives, volunteers, and prospective students?
- Is there a viable, reliable online presence in this country to ensure good communication within Africa and with the US?
- What systems and measures would we need to approve students and schools in a new country?
- What would we need to budget to research, establish, and maintain a new program, including funds for additional student grants?
As a general rule, we provide grants only to students to help them attend university in their home country.
In the future, we hope to expand into new countries. However, it will take time, money, enough applicants and volunteers to set up a new program. When we do expand into new countries, they will have a strong network of Christian Scientists with Journal-listed CS churches or CS Societies.
If you are a student in a country where ABF does not currently provide grants, please email email@example.com with your name, contact info, and the school you would like to attend. We will add you to our list of interested students. However, we most likely will not be able to fund you without unusual and extenuating circumstances on a case-by-case basis.
If you have further questions regarding our programs in Africa, please contact our Africa Programs Manager:
Africa Programs Manager
Tel: +256 753 40 86 45
English, Luganda, Swahili